Today I heard the Decemberists’ song The Mariner’s Revenge for the first time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sw61oITuts
I thought right away that it needed to be added to my list of the all-time great story songs.
But I don’t actually have such a list. So I’ve been mulling it over…
- “The Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night”
- “’52 Vincent” written by Richard Thompson, but as performed by Del McCoury band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW-w0KgE-8s
- “A Boy Named Sue” — Johnny Cash, written by Shel, of course.
- “Devil Went Down to Georgia” — Charlie Daniels
- “Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner” – Warren Zevon
- “Mean Individual Stranded in a Limousine.”- Paul Simon
- The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia.
- “Hot Rod Lincoln”
- “Frozen Logger” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIYDtqM9Vq4&feature=related
Trucker songs merit their own category… Two of my favorites:
- “Little Joe” Red Sovine
- “Roll On” Alabama
Of course, if we’re going to allow Roll On, it almost seems like we’ll have to allow “Wildfire…”
I love how many of thoser songs have not only an ending, but a twist ending!
These are great songs, which almost qualify as story songs, but not quite (according to my stringent standards)
- “City of New Orleans”
- “The Weight”
Of course I wouldn’t dream of finalizing this list without hearing your input…
Filed under: kidlit